How can I avoid "Mark" overlap on a Pie Chart

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:54 am

>I consider to buy the Product. But too many problems occur. That will >stop me to do that.....
>Can you tell me what properties or methods that can avoid Mark >overlapping ?
TeeChart for Net v1 has a number of algorithmns that were designed to stop TeeChart SeriesMark overlap. If you aren't happy with them, you can always use the DragMarks Tool or move marks around with code similar to this:

Code: Select all

private void Form1_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) {
      tChart1.Aspect.View3D = false;
      pie1.FillSampleValues(20);
      pie1.Circled = true;
      Bitmap b=tChart1.Bitmap;

Steema.TeeChart.Styles.SeriesMarks.Position mp3 =
pie1.Marks.Positions[3];
      mp3.Custom=true;
      mp3.ArrowTo.X=mp3.ArrowTo.X-50;
      mp3.LeftTop.X=mp3.LeftTop.X-50;

pie1.Marks.Positions[5].Custom=true;

pie1.Marks.Positions[5].ArrowTo.Y=pie1.Marks.Positions[5].ArrowTo.Y+50;

pie1.Marks.Positions[5].LeftTop.Y=pie1.Marks.Positions[5].LeftTop.Y+50;

tChart1.Refresh();
}

>By the way, can I make labels in a Legend auto wordwrapping?
No, this feature is not yet available. The only way around this is creating your custom legend using the Canvas thechniques. You can see one example of this in the TeeChart for Net v1 Demo Features project under :
All Features -> Welcome ! -> Miscellaneous -> Legend -> Drawing more text

Josep Lluis Jorge
http://support.steema.com

MTB

Post by MTB » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:14 am

When I first started looking at various charting products, I felt the same way. I selected a different product initially because it seemed easier/better than TeeChart. I actually ended up purchasing more than 1 charting component in my search for the best. But after spending more time working with various charting components, I came back to TeeChart. The documentation can be frustrating at times, but TeeChart is actually much easier to use and this makes up for the sparse documentation.

I think you will probably find ALL powerful charting components have a steep learning curve if you have never used one before. At least that is how I felt.

If you spend time working with any powerful charting component and then compare it to TeeChart, I believe you will begin to see that TeeChart is extremely well designed and powerful. I haven't found anything equal in the .NET world and I think I've tried them all.

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:12 pm

>Can I call a method or set a Property that can put the Marks on >the "Right" and "Left" side of the Pie Chart ?
>Otherwise, it is too hard to control the Marks position. The Doc about >Positions is not say too much, I must debug many times to understand >what he do.
The best way around this it to manually code the "anti-overlapping" algorithm :
a) Calculate each mark position and check if it intersect with another mark
b) then according to (a) move certain series marks by customizing their

I'll try to prepare an example a soon as possible and will post it here.

>If you spend time working with any powerful charting component and >then compare it to TeeChart, I believe you will begin to see that >TeeChart is extremely well designed and powerful. I haven't found >anything equal in the .NET world and I think I've tried them all.
Many thanks for all of your comments !

Josep Lluis Jorge
http://support.steema.com

swong

Post by swong » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:02 pm

I don't suppose you've posted some code for this? I'm also experiencing overlap, and don't really know how to deal with it.

Thanks!

MTB

Post by MTB » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:08 pm

Is it possible that you could post a general solution that would work on any chart type? I am experiencing label bunching / overlapping on line and candle charts (as noted in another topic).

Thanks!

smcmickens

Post by smcmickens » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:09 pm

Has the sample code Josep talked about been posted somewhere. I am having troubles too with marks being overlapped. I have a barchart graph with a bar for each shift for each month. Depending on the values associated with each shift the marks sometimes overlap. I was thinking about moving the left most bar's marks position to the left a little and the right most bar's marks position to the right a little to help solve this issue, but did not know how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:36 am