3D polygon mesh volume calculation

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
bairog
Advanced

Re: 3D polygon mesh volume calculation

Post by bairog » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:13 am

The object for which I need to calculate the volume looks something like this:
ImageImage
For this object I have a set of points and set of triangular faces. But that faces doesn't form a closed watertight solid (that is a feature of my 3D scanner) - just look at the object "back":
Because my object is not closed I cannot use most of triangle-based solutions.
geometry4Sharp library is not an option for the same reason (as it also needs triangles to define a closed region).

But what If instead Points3D series I will try to use TriSurface series (and feed my object's points to it)? Is there a way to enumerate triangles that series constists of (as I don't see any suitable member)?

Christopher
Guru

Re: 3D polygon mesh volume calculation

Post by Christopher » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:00 am

Hello,
bairog wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:13 am
But what If instead Points3D series I will try to use TriSurface series (and feed my object's points to it)? Is there a way to enumerate triangles that series constists of (as I don't see any suitable member)?
The issue is that there isn't a list of triangles per se, basically because of the immediate mode canvas that TeeChart renders to (GDI+). If it rendered to a retained mode canvas, such as OpenGL or Direct3D, then we'd have an array of triangles to which we would apply matrices for translation and rotation and so on, but in our case we have no such array as we calculate the triangles and position them in a single algorithm that is ripped down on every repaint.
Best Regards,
Christopher Ireland / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Instructions - How to post in this forum