generalized / specialized interfaces

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
davids

generalized / specialized interfaces

Post by davids » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:31 pm

I'm curious about how to approach TeeChart with something. I'm working in the area of genetics/genomics, and we do a lot of charting of statistical data.

We'd like to come up with a simplified interface for managing our charting needs, along the lines of how some relational databases offer the ability to create a "view" as a kind of virtual table.

We tend to work with data where the x-axis is either a "cell site" within a gene (represented as an integer from 1 to n), or it represents logical data, such as DNA (A, C, G, T) or protiens (twenty different one-letter codes).

The y-axis can represent a variety of things, but it's usually a number.

There are a dozen or so charts that we tend to work with regularly. We tend to use bar charts, histograms, and bubble charts most of the time.

I'm looking for suggestions or examples of how people might have approached developing some kind of higher-level interface on top of TeeChart that made it simpler to work with a common set of charting needs within their application domain.

(I can be emailed directly at 'dschwar at asu dot edu')

Thanks
-David