Usability Issue: Keyboard navigation doesn't put the column into view correctly

TeeGrid VCL / FMX for Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi, C++ Builder and Lazarus Free Pascal.
stoffman

Usability Issue: Keyboard navigation doesn't put the column into view correctly

Post by stoffman » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:08 am

ENV: Lazarus 2.0.8, Windows 10

When navigating with the keyboard (moving right). A column that is not in full view, is only being shown *after* the user leaves the cell. Leading to a situation that the user will not see the content of the column.

In the attached images you can see what happens to the "company" column when navigating (View in chronologic order k1 , k2, and then k3.png)

Thanks.
Attachments
k3.png
k3.png (18.59 KiB) Viewed 17969 times
k2.png
k2.png (19.12 KiB) Viewed 17969 times
k1.png
k1.png (19.52 KiB) Viewed 17969 times

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Usability Issue: Keyboard navigation doesn't put the column into view correctly

Post by Marc » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:50 am

Hello,

I'm trying to reproduce this and not had success so far. Can you tell me if you see a similar effect with the TeeGrid_Themes_VCL example project? (that also has multiple columns). If not do you have a small project that you could send us?

With thanks.
Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

stoffman

Re: Usability Issue: Keyboard navigation doesn't put the column into view correctly

Post by stoffman » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:20 am

Hi,

I cannot find the TeeGrid_Themes_VCL. I do not own Delphi, so when I specify Lazarus it doesn't get installed (Lazarus has 2 demos installs that I cannot run, I'll open another issue regarding the demos).

I'll prepare a small project that only uses the default components (I'm using ZEOS in the first example) and will send it to you.

stoffman

Post by stoffman » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:42 am

Attached is a simple source code for a project that reproduce the problem.

You need to download sqlite3.dll and place it in the project's directory (due to size limit I couldn't upload it directly)

https://www.sqlite.org/2022/sqlite-dll- ... 380100.zip
Attachments
TeeGrid.zip
(425.46 KiB) Downloaded 558 times

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:50 am

Hello,

Thank you for the example project. I am able to run it.

I haven't seen anything that prohibits the free movement or view of the wider field when moving with keys. I attach an image, please let me know if you see something quite different.
move_over_grid.gif
move_over_grid.gif (28.17 KiB) Viewed 17645 times
With thanks.
Regards,
Marc

stoffman

Post by stoffman » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:41 pm

I suppose I didn't explain myself... You can see the issue I talked about in the example you prepared.

Look at the "company" column on the first row, you never see the entire content of it. Only after the user leaves the column and moves to the "address" you see the rest of the name. but never its entirety.

In my opinion a much better behavior would to the scroll the column into view once the user enters the column.